Sonic Runners is an easy-to-play endless running game—all you have to do is tap the screen to jump! Equip Items and Buddies to improve your stats and have fun! Do your best to save the cute animals kidnapped by Dr. Eggman, and run to the top of the leader boards!
This is the basic game screen. Scoring points as you play allows you to progress across the map and deeper into the story.
Various things happen at waypoints along the map—perhaps an event will take place, or maybe you'll earn some Rings or Items.
Reach the end of the map, and you might even find a familiar foe waiting for a showdown!
This screen shows the Characters and Buddies you can use during the game. You can choose a main Character and a Sub-Character, as well as 2 Buddies.
This screen lets you take a look at the current rankings. There are three types of rankings: the Runners' League, in which you compete against other players to try and reach the top division; the Friends Rankings, where you can see how your friends are progressing; and the World Rankings, where players from all over the world duke it out for the top spot.
Furthermore, selecting "History" allows you to view past rankings, and see who's been at the top of the tree in the past.
Each ranking is divided into two categories: High Score, which is based on the highest score accumulated in a single attempt, and Total Score, which is based on the total number of points acquired during a given period.
You can win various items and buddies from the Roulettes. Spinning the Premium Roulette costs Red Star Rings, and allows you to acquire new Buddies. You’re guaranteed a Rare Buddy or above!
Collect 10 Special Eggs, either while playing or via the Premium Roulette, and you'll be given a chance to spin the Special Roulette.
The Item Roulette is free to spin, but you can only spin the wheel once each day. You can win Items, Rings, and Buddies by spinning the Item Roulette. The Item Roulette has three stages, Normal, Big, and Super. You will proceed to the Big and Super stages when the Roulette wheel stops in the appropriate places. There's a Jackpot slot on the Super stage—if the wheel stops there, you'll win the biggest Ring prize out there!
Daily Challenge information is displayed here. Complete a Daily Challenge to get rewards like Rings, Items, and Red Star Rings.
Information about current events and Daily Challenges is displayed on this screen.
Revive Tokens sent by friends and other rewards can be collected from this screen.
The Settings Menu allows you to view all sorts of information about the game, and adjust various settings.
You can view user information including user stats, achievements, purchase history, and your User ID.
You can also change your user name, switch push notifications on or off, adjust sound settings, and tweak other options.
The Settings Menu also allows you to view the tutorial, the help feature, and the game credits.
- These are the playable characters you can use in-game.
- When you first start playing the game, Sonic is the only playable character you can use, but as you progress through the story, other characters such as Tails and Knuckles will become available.
- There are three different character types: Speed, Fly, and Power. Each type has its own special action.
- Each character also has a “personality type.” Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are all “Hero” personalities, meaning you’ll be awarded a bonus on the results screen based on the distance you run.
- You can use up to two characters on a stage: a main character and a sub-character.
- To use a sub-character while playing, you will need to use the “Sub-Character” booster item.
- You can switch characters by touching the icon at the bottom of the screen. You will also switch characters if one of your characters fails. After you’ve touched the icon to switch characters, you cannot switch again for 5 seconds.
- “Buddies” will accompany your characters on their adventures.
- You can team up with two Buddies at a time.
- Each Buddy has their own unique effect on your performance.
- Buddies’ effects include score boosts and item efficiency boosts. Some Buddies produce special effects when combos of certain lengths are performed, while others come into their own against bosses. The possibilities are endless!
- Each Buddy has a rarity rating: Normal, Rare, or Super Rare. The rarer a Buddy, the more powerful the effect it produces.
- Just like playable characters, Buddies have types: Speed, Fly, or Power. Buddies are even more effective when they accompany characters of the same type.
- New Buddies can be acquired by spinning the Premium Roulette, by collecting 10 Special Eggs and spinning the Special Roulette, or via the Item Roulette (limited to Normal Rarity Buddies only.)
- Acquire more and more Buddies, and your total Buddy Bonus will increase, based on their number and ability levels. This total Buddy Bonus is applied to the scores you achieve in-game (up to a maximum of 1000%).
Booster Items & Equippable Items
Booster Items & Equippable Items
- Before you head out onto a stage, you’ll be taken to a screen where you can equip items.
- Each item can be used once daily, for free. If you run out of items, you can always purchase more with Rings.
- Booster Items are bought using Rings, and are usable during gameplay.
- Booster Items are active for the entire duration of your run.
- Up to three Equippable Items can be equipped at any one time. Tap the Item button at the bottom of the screen to activate Items. Items will be used, in the order they are equipped.
- Equippable Items also appear during gameplay. These have the same effects as the items you equip before starting a stage, but last about half as long.
Booster Items & Equippable Items
- You can get new Buddies from the Premium Roulette. You are guaranteed at least a Rare Buddy or above!
- You need to use Red Star Rings in order to spin the Premium Roulette.
- The rarer a Buddy is, the harder it is to acquire via the Premium Roulette.
- During special events, it's possible to get new characters from the Premium Roulette as well!
- If the wheel stops on a Buddy you already own, that Buddy’s level will increase by one.
- If the wheel stops on a Buddy you already own who has already reached the maximum possible level, you will acquire 3 Special Eggs instead.
- Collecting 10 Special Eggs gives you a chance to spin the Special Roulette.
- You are guaranteed to acquire a Rare or Super Rare Buddy when spinning the Special Roulette. PLUS the Super Rare drop rate is higher than the Premium Roulette!
- Defeat bosses the very first time you encounter them or win Buddies you already own that are at their maximum level or get a character you already own, and you'll get Special Eggs!
- You are given a chance to spin the Special Roulette instead of the Premium Roulette every time you collect 10 Special Eggs.
- You are guaranteed a Rare Buddy or above AND the drop rates for Super Rare Buddies and Characters are higher here!
Item (Login) Roulette
- You can spin the Item Roulette once each day to get Rings, Red Star Rings, Items, and Buddies.
- There are three stages of the Item Roulette: Normal, Big, and Super. If the wheel stops on the “Big” or “Super” sections, you will proceed to the corresponding stage.
- A jackpot can be won on the Super stage. Get the wheel to stop in the right section, and score yourself a bumper crop of Rings!
Red Star Rings
Red Star Rings
- Red Star Rings are used to spin the Premium Roulette. They can also be exchanged for Rings and Revive Tokens.
- Red Star Rings can occasionally be acquired during gameplay, from the Episode Map, via the Item Roulette, or via Daily Challenges. They can also be bought using real money.
Red Star Rings
- Rings are used to level up your playable characters and to buy items.
- Rings are acquired during gameplay, from the Episode Map, via the Item Roulette, via Daily Challenges, and by other means. Large amounts of Rings can be bought using Red Star Rings.
- Revive Tokens are required in order to play the game. Each time you head out onto a stage, a Revive Token is consumed.
- Players start with 3 Revive Tokens. 1 Revive Token will replenish every 30 minutes up to a maximum of 3 Revive Tokens. You can exceed the maximum of 3 by purchasing more from the store using Red Star Rings.
- You can also receive Revive Tokens as gifts from friends.
- Daily Challenges are specific missions that are issued to you on a daily basis. You will receive rewards for completing these challenges, such as Items or Rings.
- Daily Challenge rewards are given in the form of stamps on a seven-day sheet. Complete the sheet’s seventh and final mission, and you’ll earn a really spectacular reward!
- Fail a stage, and you’ll be offered 2 chances to continue your game.
- Continuing your game will cost a certain number of Red Star Rings or require you to view an advertisement.
- Crystals are the main method of scoring points in Sonic Runners.
- Large Crystals are worth a lot of points, while small Crystals are worth fewer points. A Crystal’s color also affects its point value. Red Crystals are worth the most points, followed by green Crystals. Blue Crystals are worth the least points.
Dr. Eggman's Robots
- Robots are enemies that Dr. Eggman has deployed throughout the game’s stages to make life a misery for Sonic and his friends!
- Defeat a robot, and the Animal trapped inside it will be freed.
- Defeating golden robots scores you a lot more points than defeating normal robots.
- Be aware that so-called “tough enemies” can only be defeated by Power-type characters.
- Dr. Eggman is capturing the local Animals and trapping them inside his robots, where they are used as power sources!
- Defeating a robot releases the Animal trapped inside it.
- Touch a released Animal with your character to save it and get major points!
- Dr. Eggman is the game’s main bad guy, and the leader of the robots who are out to get Sonic and co.
- Sonic and his friends are chasing after Dr. Eggman in the hope of catching him and putting an end to his schemes. Dr. Eggman will appear periodically in the game. Attack him, and he will drop a big pile of Rings. He might even drop a Red Star Ring every now and again.
- Dr. Eggman will also confront Sonic and the gang at the end of certain Episode Maps. These stages are not ordinary endless running stages, but rather special boss battle showdowns. The stage will not end until Dr. Eggman has been defeated.
- Dr. Eggman is more likely to drop Red Star Rings during these boss battles than he is during his appearances on ordinary stages.
- All the Rings you’re carrying are sent to the bank whenever you pass a Star Post.
- In order for the Rings your characters have picked up on stages to be brought back home with them, they need to be banked.
- Rings are safely banked whenever you pass a Star Post. Some Buddies also send Rings to the bank when you take damage.
- Whenever you bank Rings, the number of Rings sent will be displayed beneath the number of Rings you’re currently carrying at the top of the screen.
- Build up your combo count by collecting Crystals, Rings, or Animals in an unbroken chain.
- Combo chains are broken when you take damage or if there is too much time in between collecting items.
- If you are using the "Combo Bonus" item, your combo will not be broken even if you take damage, or if you fail to keep collecting Crystals, Rings, or Animals continuously.
- While you are performing a combo, a bonus is applied to the score you get for collecting Crystals, Rings, and Animals.
- The longer your combo, the bigger the bonus!
High Score & Total Score
- In the High Score rankings, players compete to see who can score the most points in a single attempt at the game.
- High Scores are still valid even if a “Continue” is used during the game attempt.
- In the Total Score rankings, players compete to see who can score the most points during a certain period of time.
- The Runners' League is a ranking competition containing a number of divisions, each of which features up to 50 players who compete against each other.
- Players compete to record the best High Score or best Total Score within a given period. Players who finish near the top of their division are promoted to the next division, whilst players who finish near the bottom of their division are relegated to the division below.
- Rewards are given to those who finish with good results in the High Score and Total Score categories of the Runners' League. These rewards include Rings, Items, and Red Star Rings.
- The Runners’ League is comprised of 21 divisions, with F- being the lowest and S+ being the highest. All players start in the lowest division, F-.
- The higher up the divisions you go, the better the rewards you can receive.
- The Friends Rankings only contain people you’re friends with on Facebook.
- You need to be logged in to Facebook in order to view the Friends Rankings.
- Just like the other rankings, the Friends Rankings are divided into two categories: High Score and Total Score.
- In the World Rankings, players from all over the world compete against each other.
- Just like the other rankings, the World Rankings are divided into two categories: High Score and Total Score.
- Rewards such as Rings, Items, and Red Star Rings are awarded to players who do well in the World Rankings.
- The Historical Rankings allow you to see who topped the rankings in past ranking periods.
- Historical Rankings are also divided into two categories: High Score and Total Score.
Ranking Data Reset
- Rankings data is reset on a regular basis.
- If you have recorded good results when the rankings are reset, you may get promoted to a higher division of the Runners’ League, or you may be awarded a World Rankings reward.
- Any ranking rewards you receive, such as Rings, Items, and Red Star Rings, will be sent to your Gift Box.
- If you fail to login to the game for a certain period of time, you may be relegated to a lower division.